Friday, April 30, 2010

Garden of Eatin'

I would really like to start this off by saying: "Matt and I have started the vegetable garden in the backyard.", but that would be a big fat lie.

MATT has started the vegetable garden in the back yard. Matt has turned the soil and fertilized it. Matt has planted the seeds. Matt has made beautiful herb boxes for the back porch. I, on the other hand am usually on Jed patrol so I am not much help in the yard yet.

Either way, it's looking great! We have a bunch of heirloom tomato plants and exotic hot pepper plants coming in 2 weeks and we are going to get blueberry bushes from a blueberry farm in NJ! Matt has already planted zucchini, salad mix, tomatillos and some other seeds. It seems like eating is going to be super wonderful with all this beautiful produce!

This garden has been in my family forever. My grandfather always had the biggest cukes and zukes, mouth watering tomatoes, and a ton of hot and sweet peppers. We always had swiss chard until about December. Now that he physically can't work in his garden, Matt has basically taken over the task. I can't wait!

Unfortunately there is a/n (crab)apple tree that takes up a lot of the sun in parts of the day... We would like this tree to move on, we'll see...




1 comment:

  1. Oh man! I'm so jealous! If our savings plan continues on its current course we'll have enough money to buy property in Westchester by 2087! Then we can have a garden too!

    ReplyDelete